MZ-Tools 8.0 for VBA, released a year ago, already introduced an innovation in the world of add-ins for the VBA editor allowing to install it without admin rights, something that was quite requested because in many companies users of Office are not admin users (and that’s right).
The build 188.8.131.52 released yesterday, in the first anniversary, introduces yet another innovation in this area: a portable edition. That’s right, you can now run MZ-Tools 8.0 for VBA without running a setup. You can even run it from a USB drive if you want, without copying any file to the hard disk of your computer. This scenario is not so much requested, but it seems that there are companies where users are not allowed (by group policies) to run any kind of setup (even those setups that don’t require admin rights), and maybe even PowerShell or regedit.exe are not allowed either.
So, a portable edition is now provided. The setup edition is still not only provided but also recommended (at least for now). The portable edition is suitable for the scenarios mentioned above.
When you download the portable edition, you get a MZTools8VBAPortable.zip file that, when unzipped, has this file structure:
There is a MZTools8VBAPortable.exe executable (with a .config file to allow it to run on whatever .NET Framework you have installed, 2.0 or 4.0) and a Files folder, that contains the files (dlls) and the options files (although you can configure the options files anywhere).
When you run the MZTools8VBAPortable.exe file, you get a dialog to register MZ-Tools 8.0 for VBA in the VBA editor:
And, of course, you can unregister it if you want.
Yesterday it was the first anniversary of MZ-Tools 8.0 for VBA, VB6 and VB5. Happy birthday! I want to thank all the people whose feedback has made this product much better, requesting new features and enhancements, and reporting bugs.
Yesterday also a new build 184.108.40.206 was released, as every month. The complete changelog is the following:
MZ-Tools 220.127.116.11 released (October 1, 2016)
- New [Internal] (VBA): MZ-Tools 8.0 for VBA Portable edition.
- Fixed [#11589] (All): The Code Library doesn’t set the focus on the treeview with code templates when shown.
- Fixed [#11522, #11524] (VB6/VB5): Toolwindows could not be shown (System.InvalidCastException “Unable to cast COM object of type ‘System.__ComObject’ to class type System.Windows.Forms.UserControl”) on Windows 8 or higher if VB6/VB5 is running in compatibility mode with Windows XP. This bug was introduced in build 18.104.22.168.
- Fixed [#11580] (All): The Headers Review didn’t ignore spaces at the end of a line for VB/VB.NET languages.
- Fixed [#11589] (VB/VBA): The Esc key allows to close toolwindows.
- Fixed [#11570] (VB/VBA): The Line Indenting feature caused “System.InvalidOperationException: Indentation of paragraph of file failed” if the file ended with a line with spaces and the last method included line numbers.
- Fixed [#11544] (VBA): The Options window doesn’t show the Personal / Team options tabs on some configurations (Windows 10 on Parallels).
- Fixed [#11554] (VBA): The Generate HTML/XML documentation feature crashed the VBA editor of the GE iFix host.
- Fixed [#11589] (VBA): The Tab key didn’t navigate correctly in the Code Library.
- Fixed [Internal] (All): The dialog to download an updated version didn’t set correctly the position of a label.
- Fixed [Internal] (VBA): MZ-Tools could not be loaded in the VBA editor of Office 2000 on Windows XP with .NET Framework 2.0.